5.13.2011

Sausage and Beans with Rice

So I will totally admit that this does not sounds like the most enticing recipe, but it is actually pretty yummy stuff.  In fact this is probably one of Brad's favorite meals. Seriously, if he has had a rough day, I always know that if I make this for dinner he will suddenly be very happy.  The best part about it to me is that it is super easy and I don't end up with a bunch of dirty dishes.  (I really think that the clean up is the worst part of cooking)

1 C. Instant brown rice
1 C.  Broth- I use chicken but you could use whatever you want
1 can Kidney beans
1 can great northern beans
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 lb. smoked sausage (I use the turkey kielbasa sausage)
1/4 C packed brown sugar
1/4 Ketchup
1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
Mix all ingredients together in a 9x13 pan. Cover and bake at 350 for 15min.  Uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 min.  I really think that the baking time depends on the rice you use.  I always just try a bite and make sure that the rice is tender.  Sometimes it needs a few extra minutes.
But seriously, thats it! I am all about keeping it simple!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds good! I bet my kids would eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made this a couple of weeks ago and it was a hit! Thanks Darc!

    ReplyDelete