5.13.2011

Tabouleh salad

Sorry, this recipe was sitting in the draft box for awhile.  I feel like I never have time to sit.  It's funny that Darci just posted a Quinoa recipe also.  And then I went to Our Best Bites and they have a post about quinoa.  It's my favorite grain-ever! We have been replacing the meat in enchilada's and using quinoa instead.  It is sooo good!  I don't have to put in a lot of cheese either.  It gives the enchilada's a nice texture.
This recipe comes from two of my very best friends. Both are very healthy eaters, and have helped me to cook more delicious and healthy meals. I have had tabouleh salad in the past, and was never that fond of it. True tabouleh salad calls for a whole entire bunch of fresh parsley. You really can't taste much of anything else in the salad. When I was pregnant with Isaac, my friend Tora came over to teach me how to cook with quinoa. So she showed how to make tabouleh salad. I told her she had to take it easy on the parsley. Her salad was so good, that I pretty much ate the whole thing myself.  Just a little FYI, quinoa is a super duper food! It so good for you! Google it. It's healthy, tasty stuff. Isaac and Lynden love this stuff. Okay, on to the recipe. Also, boxed quinoa is really expensive, at least by me.  But, if you go into a health food store, you should be able to buy it in bulk, which makes it a little cheaper.

Tabouleh salad
1 cup cooked quinoa (important note: quinoa needs to soak in water for at least an hour, because there is a bitter taste to it if you don't).
1/3 cup of lemon juice ( I have used both bottled and real lemons)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove minced
1 T dried parsley
1/4 cup green onions
1 large tomato (chopped)
1/2 15 oz. can olives  (chopped)

To cook Quinoa:  After quinoa has soaked, rinse with fine strainer.  Bring 1 3/4 cup of water to a boil, add the rinsed quinoa. Turn burner on low and simmer for 15 minutes with lid on.
While quinoa is cooking, add lemon juice, oilive oil, garlic and parsley.  Let marinate until quinoa is done.  When quinoa is cooked, throw quinoa into a medium size bowl.  Add the lemon juice mixture and onions, tomato and olives.  Mix it real good, and try not to eat the whole thing.  It really is supposed to be chilled, but we eat both ways.  But it is awesome chilled! 

No comments:

Post a Comment