5.13.2011

Quinoa Salad

This is the first and only recipe that I have ever made with quinoa, but really like this a lot.  It is a very hearty dish, and we actually eat it warm, but the recipe says to serve it cold.  I am sure that it is good both ways.  This is so filling by itself but if you feel like you need to have some meat with it I am sure you could add some flavored cubed chicken and it would be good.  This recipe is from one of my favorite cooking blogs, Mel's Kitchen Cafe.


1 Tbsp olive oil
1 diced onion (I never add this due to the picky husband, but I bet it is really good in there!)
2 cloves garlic
3/4 C uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 C chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt (I never add this, I think it is a waste of sodium)
1 C frozen sweet corn
2 cans black beans
1/2 C. cilantro (or more if you are like me and pretty much love this stuff!)
lime juice to taste

Saute onion and garlic in oil.  Add quinoa and cover with broth. Add seasonings and stir.  Cover and simmer for 20 min on reduced heat. Once water is absorbed stir in corn and black beans and heat through. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.  Top with tomatoes and avocadoes if desired.  (as in I LOVE it with that stuff and Brad won't get near me when I eat it)

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I will have to try that. I have a similar recipe with brown rice. In fact, it pretty much is the same! We sometimes use it as a dip with tortilla chips.

    ReplyDelete